Saturday, November 16, 2013

You are doing what...?!

You are doing what...?!

  After I had my oldest, who is now 4, I had horrible, awful postpartum depression. There were some days I could barely take care of my daughter, let alone myself. I had suffered from depression in the past, so I just thought it was a happening again. It didn't help that I was raising my daughter on my own, since her father was in prison. I had to move back in with my mother and step- dad because I couldn't afford rent and pay for childcare while I was at work. I am still so thankful that my mother would watch my daughter while I was at work, and charge me nothing for living in her house. I struggled with my depression for months after she was born.

  When I was pregnant with my and my husband's first child, my life was drastically different than when I was pregnant before. My husband is one of the most supportive people I have ever met. He loves me unconditionally and does whatever it takes to support his family. After I had our daughter, I was still mildly depressed. I'm still not sure why. I had everything I could ever need, and I was still sad. Luckily, that bout with depression went away much quicker than with my oldest.

 I found out I was pregnant with our son around the same time of year I did with our daughter. I knew that after this pregnancy I didn't want to be sad. I wanted to be happy that we had just had a baby. I didn't want to stay in bed all day. I didn't want to cry at everything and for no reason at all. I wanted to enjoy my little family.

  One day, my mother in law shared a Placenta Encapsulation page on my Facebook. I was so grossed out. Ha. I thought that was one of the weirdest things ever. My husband had always joked that after our babies, he was going to eat the placenta. SO gross.

  A couple days later I actually started looking into placenta encapsulation. I'm still not sure why I started looking into it, but I did. And I'm so thankful for that! Even though I got crazy looks when I would tell people what my plans were for my placenta.

  I read about how they encapsulate the placenta, and of course the benefits from taking the pills. Ingesting my placenta in pill form has been one of the most beneficial things postpartum that I have ever done. I have experienced no depression symptoms at all, and even my hormones seem completely in check.

 I know that encapsulating a placenta sounds crazy, and honestly kind of gross. But for me, the pill form was the only way I was going to be able to ingest it. And even though it has not been officially medically proven to have positive health benefits, I honestly believe it does.

  Some of the main benefits that can come from ingesting the placenta are as follows:
  • prevents postpartum depression
  • leveling of hormones
  • shrinking of the uterus
  • improved mood
  • increased energy and
  • improved lactation
  Now while these benefits have not been proven officially, studies have shown* that women who ingest their placenta have found these benefits to be true. And I personally, saw a huge change in this postpartum experience than from my other two pregnancies.

  I was lucky enough to find a doula who specializes in placenta encapsulation. The cost for her encapsulation was $100, well worth every penny, in my opinion. I called the doula after I had given birth. She included pick up of the placenta and the drop off of the pills in the price I had paid. I just had to put it on ice until she came and picked it up.

  After pick up, she took my placenta back to her house to perform the necessary preparations in order to encapsulate it. This includes:
  • washing the placenta
  • removing the umbilical cord and membranes
  • steaming it then slicing it very thinly
  • dehydrating the placenta
  • then grinding it up
  • and then filling the capsules with the powder
  She then brought the pills back to me the very next day. She joked that since my placenta was a little on the larger side, that I was really getting my money's worth. :) She also instructed me on how many pills I should take a day for the first two weeks, and then the amount for the weeks to follow. The pills also keep in the freezer for an indefinite amount of time.

  Encapsulating my placenta was such a wonderful experience for me. And honestly, for my family too. It helped me be able to focus on the wonderful event and gorgeous baby we welcomed into our lives. I hope that this post can be of help to other women who are interested in this experience as well.

Please feel free to ask me any questions, and I will answer to the best of my ability!

-Lady Bug

3 comments:

  1. That sounds so awesome! I really struggled with PPD and PTSD after the birth of our last daughter. I wanted to do placenta encapsulation this time around, but hubby thinks it's gross and refuses to pay for it :-/ I'm happy that your experience was so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you're able to convince DH that it's something you would benefit from. I know it's hard when you don't see eye to eye with your spouse.

      Delete
  2. I think my most convincing argument is that many animals do it. They eat much of what comes out of them after birth. I have to figure that was nature's intention to get us back to normal. I know it USED to be common practice to cook it and eat it, but I just can't. Capsules are just easier to swallow...pun not intended lol

    ReplyDelete