Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pinterest Project How-to: Twine Bottles

I love Pinterest, and I love making home made gifts for Christmas. Here is a step by step guide for my first Christmas project.
Today I am going to show you how easy the "Twine Bottles" are to make! And some pointers on what NOT to do. (I learned these through trial and error)
First off, you will need some supplies:

1) Twine or Hemp. I used the Hemp pictured below. You can make two Twine Bottles out of one of these rolls.







2) Gather your wine bottles. Choose one to use. You do not need to remove the labels.
The large wine bottle we will be using to make a Twine Bottle lamp. I will post those directions at a later date.





3) You will need a hot glue gun. I use a mini glue gun that is high temp.






4)This is the bottle I chose to work with.






Start a couple rows down from the mouth of the bottle.
Make sure you start at the top. I learned this the hard way. If you start at the bottom, when it comes to the wine bottle getting more narrow, it becomes hard to keep the twine from spacing out.








You only need to tack the twine every few rows. Just use a small dot of hot glue, and wipe the extra with your finger, JUST MAKE SURE NOT TO BURN YOURSELF!






Make your way down the bottle, keeping the hemp/twine as tight as possible. this is the point where it gets a little trickier because you no longer have the slope of the neck working with you. I found that I had to tack it more often to get the tight look I wanted.







This is what my first attempt looked like when I started at the bottom. It was too difficult to keep the twine/hemp tight.





Tacking the twine/hemp 






Pull the twine/hemp tight. 






 I found it easiest to hold the neck of the bottle against my stomach for some leverage.






 Keep going until you have done one row on the bottom so the end is hidden.






This is what it will look like after you have finished the body of the bottle, then you want to go back up and do the very top of the neck. I found this easiest to do by cutting a small piece of twine/hemp and tacking the entire piece.







The bottle on the left is our finished product. The bottle on the right is my first trial. You can see that it has a lot looser look to it.




There are a number of ways you can finish these off. You can use a wooden letter (the first letter of a last name, for instance), you can cut a piece of fabric and tie a bow around the top, or stick something inside like a festive flower.
However you choose to finish them off, they will be a great gift for anyone you know!!
-Lady Runner
*if there is anything that does not make sense or that needs clarification, please don't hesitate to comment!!

No comments:

Post a Comment