Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pinterest Fail: Wine bottle decorations

By now, most of you have either heard of pinterest or are an addict considering the 12-step program. I definitely fall into the latter category. I love trying out different ideas I see, but I don't follow directions, well, ever. I see something and think I can figure it out. Or I won't have the right materials, so I try to make due.

This is a play-by-play of my most recent pinterest fail.

We've all seen them: the gorgeous up-cycled wine bottles. Someone has written "Peace" "Love" and "Joy" on three separate bottles in gorgeous handwriting. They have painted them and have them sitting front and center in their entryway.

I thought, "Those are SO cute!" and I was flying high from my cute "twine bottles" from last week.

See twine bottles here: http://naptimebloggers.blogspot.com/2013/11/pinterest-project-how-to-twine-bottles.html


1) I gathered some supplies:
Elmer's Glue to write with

Paints for each wine bottle.
These are acrylic paints. These are the paints you do NOT want to use. These are the paints I used.


Three "wine" bottles.
None of these were wine bottles, but I had bought some bottles from someone so I decided to just use what I had. You do NOT need to take off the labels. The paint will cover all of that up.

The paintbrush on the left is the first one I used. It caused the paint to be much too uneven, so I switched to the brush on the right.




2) The second step was to choose what I would write, and transfer it from my brain to the bottles.


It looked a lot prettier in my head.
At this point, the Elmer's Glue had started running and was beginning to pool in certain places. I'm sure this is from the rounded surface. The glue wiped off easily with a dry paper towel.

That is when I decided to use my trusty ol' mini hot glue gun. I'm not super patient, so instantly drying hot glue is right up my ally.


This is what it looked like after the hot glue writing session. At this point, I was not a fan, but I had high hopes that the pain would make it better. I did two layers of hot glue. You have to go slowly so the glue doesn't glob up on you.
This is what the bottles looked like after the first layer of paint...not loving it, but I know you have to wait for the final product to see the full picture, so I kept on trucking.



After the second coat of paint, I noticed the first coat was pulling off with my paint brush. You can see in the "S" and the "N" where the paint has pulled away from the bottle and at he top of the blue bottle.
I found that to keep it from doing this:
1. Make sure the paint is completely dry
2. Even if the paint is completely dry, if you paint over the same spot more than twice, it will get the first coat wet again and undo all of your work.


After the third and final coat of paint, this is the final product.
I do not like it for home décor, but it would be a fun project for the kids!
I have some ideas for my next round, and the hubby had a few pointers, so we WILL be successful eventually :)

Until then, don't use acrylic paint on glass.



Also, in case any of you were wondering how in the world I do projects with two kids at home, I always distract them with something new. Once it was aluminum foil.
Today it was brown paper sacs. They had a hay-day.
And mommy had a pinterest fail.
Fair trade.



No comments:

Post a Comment