Friday, November 22, 2013

Dreaming Big

Today DH and I were talking about how our son has figured out how to get around things we tell him not to do and he's only 8 months old.  For instance, we have a barrier so that he can't get to the baseboard heaters, and today he got on his tiptoes and walked along that barrier so he could get back behind it, where he isn't supposed to be. Which led us to the discussion of how intelligent he is, and how he is great at problem solving already, and that led us to the topic I'm going to post about today; dreaming big for your little one.

Even before we had conceived our baby boy, we were talking about the dreams we had for our kids.  Signing them up for different lessons and classes, the opportunities we wanted to provide for them, and the things that we did when we were younger that we didn't want to happen to our children.  A few things that we agreed on, no matter what it is that our son wants to try, be it an instrument, gymnastics, football, baseball, dance, whatever it is, we will support him 100%.  We know that he won't succeed in everything he does, but we want to give him the chance to fail and find his niche.
I am one of those people that thinks things should go as I plan them, luckily for our son, my husband is more of a go-with-the-flow type person.  I have HUGE plans for our sons life.  I want him to go to the new high school in the area that allows kids that excel in math and science to do just that, and it offers great summertime programs at a place in town that has a lot of engineers.  However, I also want him to be enthusiastic about music, like his mama, an excellent reader like his daddy, an awesome football player so I can cheer him on, a doctor so I can brag, and an honest politician (ha!).  Thankfully, I have a semi-level head, and when I don't my husband can bring me back down to earth.

The great thing though?  Whatever he chooses to do, I'm determined to stand behind him, and I can't wait to watch his journey.

What are some dreams you have for your children?

Until next time,

Lady Hurricane

2 comments:

  1. I am a big dreamer. We want to start hook on phonics and Rosetta stone before our little girl goes to preschool and to know simple addition and subtraction before kindergarten. Realistically, she will grasp things at her own pace but I want to expose her to as many things while she is a sponge to give her the opportunity to learn than just assume its over her head and not expose her to anything. I get looks from my friends that I expect too much. But I think parents these days don't expect enough of their kids. I know she won't grasp it all or maybe she will, but why not go and expose her to all those things. It may make things easier to learn later when she's ready because she already has had exposure. Its going to be fun showing her all the possibilities that are out there for her. So when she grows up she can hopefully have a better idea of where she wants to go with her life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! We're doing Sign with our son, and when I count or say colors I also say them in Spanish and Sign them in hopes that he will catch on some day. I think I would be doing a great disservice to him by not trying to teach him as much as possible!
      -Lady Hurricane

      Delete