Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thanksgiving Dishes And Traditions

Thanksgiving is such a fun time of year!  It’s a time to reflect on the good in your life and truly be thankful for every opportunity and blessing that was sent your way.  It’s also a time of fellowship with family and friends who you may have unfortunately not had the chance to see very often, but now get to spend a whole day with just enjoying one another’s company in good conversation and amazing food.  Aw, the food… juicy turkey oozing in all of its tenderness, bowls overflowing with stuffing, bright and tangy cranberry sauce, fluffy mashed potatoes, and dense pumpkin pie with the perfect flaky crust and a dollop of creamy whip cream to top it all off.
I am drooling sitting here thinking about it.  Two more days, just two more till I get to indulge in all of the sweet and savory dishes that I, a very hungry pregnant woman, am now seeing dancing around in my head.  For the past seven years I have cooked up huge feasts for this special day that result in weeks worth of leftovers.  I always over do it, I know I do, but a small part of me tries to replicate the amazing dishes that my Grandma, Aunt E, and Aunt A used to make every year.  They would create this eloborate spread of food that looked like it was straight from the pages of Martha Stewart Living and while I may have not appreciated it as much growing up, now as an adult who lives halfway across the country from them, I crave that food and the memories that are associated along with it.
So as a mom I wanted to instill some things into my son’s memory bank so he can look back enjoying the memories as well as looking ahead to be excited about our own family traditions.  One of those traditions is for my son to join me in the kitchen making all of the delicious food.  He’s been helping me since the day he could crawl, by first handing me pots and pans from the lower cabinets to graduating on to removing the giblets from the turkey and helping inspire the menu every year.  It’s a time that we both enjoy, just bonding, and working together to create something that we’re both proud of.
         But sadly, this year we will have to forgo on the mother/son bonding time in the kitchen because we will be going to a buffet instead.  I’m completely hanging my head in shame as I admit this to you because I want nothing more than to cook a feast fit for a king.  I’m passionate about cooking and about our little family traditions.  However, due to my quite large belly getting in the way and then adding a dash of pregnancy clumsiness I just don’t see how it would be possible to pull it off this year.  I know some people would jump for joy at the opportunity to put their feet up, sit back, and enjoy, but not me.  Ha!  I’m actually going to miss all of it… especially the part where my son joins me in our little bonding time!  So this week since I cannot whip up a delicious meal I thought that I would share some of my family’s favorite dishes that I have made in the past and hope that they will be as enjoyable for you as they have been for us.



The World’s Best Turkey   




Cranberry Sauce  




Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes 




Creamed Garden Potatoes and Peas 




Marshmallow Rolls  




Brown Butter Coconut Mashed Sweet Potatoes




Caramel Apple Cheesecake 




Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes with Gingersnap Crusts




Pumpkin Coconut Fudge (Dairy-Free)


Ingredients
  • 2 Cup Coconut Butter
  • 1 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Puree
  • 2/3 Cup Pure Maple Syrup or Raw Honey
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • extra cinnamon for dusting (optional)
*  Warm coconut butter in a medium size saucepan over low heat until melted. Turn off heat and add the remaining ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are combined. Pour into an 8×8 inch square pan. Refrigerate fudge for 2-3 hours or until it has set. Cut into squares and serve.

I made this a few weeks ago and will definitely be using this recipe in the future for every day use as well as for holidays because oh my goodness it is beyond DELICIOUS! Our family loved it so much that I had to actually wrap up each individual piece in saran wrap and then store it in a freezer bag for portion control.



I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and are able to enjoy time with your family, friends and just make the most out of this special holiday.


What are some of your favorite Thanksgiving Day dishes and traditions?


xoxo

Lady Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment