Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snowmaggedon 2014!! CABIN FEVER

Okay, so it isn't nearly as insane to those of you who regularly brave the snow, but we southerners do not possess the city equipment, the snow tires, nor the driving training/skills to survive in this. It got pretty serious here in Georgia. People have been stranded in cars on the interstate. Over 500 accidents yesterday between 10AM-5PM AND there was a baby delivered on the interstate during all of this chaos. Anyway, this is all crazy and very serious, but I'm not going into the serious note anymore...

I AM STIR CRAZY! Am I the only one that can't stand to not leave the house for days straight? This cabin fever has of course been exacerbated by two very bored kids. We played in the snow, but it was in brief segments. We did all the chores...and then some. (thanks to that nice chore chart that has been circulating Facebook and my kids were thrilled to be so helpful!) We read a little. We tried watching some TV....this just made it WORSE for me personally. I was sitting here yelling at Dora. I know you've noticed how insane these shows are...or is that just me and my cabin fever?

Dora...a small child at the age of I don't know...8? maybe? She goes gallivanting off with a monkey on every episode with no parental supervision through some sort of forest or jungle. Never mind that monkeys can be extremely mean and jungles are dangerous! I can overlook that! What I can't overlook is the vehicles. She is constantly riding some four wheeler, small car, boat, jet ski. It drives me INSANE. I'm like wait...no parents AND you are operating dangerous vehicles?! Somewhere in my snowed-in rage, I caught myself screaming at Dora today... "SEAT BELTS! So we can be safe!" she says, and I just lost it. "SAFE?! SAFE?! YOU ARE OPERATING A MOTORIZED VEHICLE IN THE JUNGLE WITH A VICIOUS MONKEY AND NO PARENTS!!!!!" This is when I realized I had a problem.

Anyway, I know this blog is really neither helpful nor informative, but I have to ask..am I the only one that looks at children's shows and says "WHAT?!". I can't be. If the innocent ones weren't enough, what is happening to Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network in general? I saw a commercial on Nick where several men were hit in the groin region and it was repeatedly described as funny. Oh good...when my seven year old does it at school I'm sure it will be BOWLS of laughter! Cartoon Network has just as much become all about fart jokes and butts. I have NO idea what that is about, but what happened to cartoons? :( It makes me sad.

The only helpful thing you MAY take away from this is that the TV is NOT a babysitter (which most of us already know) but that you also may need to pre-screen a LOT of seemingly innocent/ "age appropriate" shows before allowing your child to watch. Everything is of course depending on your child's maturity and likelihood to imitate the behavior, but for me...I always just watch with them and explain to them what's wrong with that man being hit in the groin or that kid farting in his friend's face. *shakes head* America, this is our future.

I have GOT to get out of this house. Wow.

-Lady Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment