Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Presents versus Presence

     I want you to think hard about the holidays of your childhood. What do you remember most? Do you remember baking special holiday treats with your mom or grandma? Do you remember going to see a display of Christmas lights? What about traditions that your family ALWAYS did that you loved? Now I want you to think about the gifts you received. How many can you remember? Okay fine, I definitely remember my N64 (and yes I still have it) and my Power Wheels Corvette, but aside from that, I've got nothin. Let that sink in for a minute....go ahead....I'll wait....
 
     Okay now...get it? Good. I want you to realize how stressful it is when you are running around frantically Black Friday shopping or last minute gift wrapping..or maybe about preparing for all that company. Do your kids enjoy you when you're stressed? Mine certainly don't.
   
     One last question...how often did they play with last year's expensive gifts? If your kids are anything like mine, they played with them for MAYBE a week before they were lost in the pile that is the toy box. They would get dumped out when company came over of course as you know kids are prone to doing this AWESOME thing where they check to see every single toy the other child has, but were they worth it? Not really.

     What has this holiday become? It used to be about so much more than retail, but I don't want to get preachy. I could rant all day about how materialistic we are now and how insane it is to trample people in a sale to get junk that will likely not even really be appreciated, but I won't.

     So what do we do to make sure our kids have something more worthwhile... I know there was a blog earlier about community service and that was a GREAT idea, but aside from that...do a holiday craft, even if it comes out sloppy. Bake some Christmas tree brownies together. Take them to see a light show. Start some traditions and make them memorable! (you can still do a lot of shopping if you have a preteen who loves to shop with you! :P)

     Here's what I did with my kids today...we made ornaments out of foam balls and sequins. They LOVED IT.

Yesterday, they helped me put together my Christmas village. (my grandmother had me help with hers every year and it was my favorite so I started my own) There's a brilliant local light display that I've been to every December since I was 10, and I'll be taking them to that. If I'm being honest I don't like holidays, but only because of what they have BECOME. Let's create traditions and memories with our kids that will make these holidays meaningful..otherwise, what's the point? :)

-Lady Luck



No comments:

Post a Comment